Wilbert, Curtis to be on same team in today's FAU football spring game
Here are a couple of quick notes heading into the spring game – which will begin in a few short hours.
- The first team offense and the second team defense will take on the second team offense and first team defense. Pelini originally wanted to hold a draft, letting players pick sides, but injuries prompted him to change his mind.
- Stephen Curtis and Graham Wilbert (photo) will both be playing on the first team offense and are expected to get the same amount of snaps. On Friday it appeared as though Wilbert will get the first set of snaps. Either player could end up switching teams late in the game if they need to get more snaps. “Curtis is still learning,” FAU coach Carl Pelini said. “He shows flashes of brilliance and then, whew. He has peaks and valleys. He needs to be more consistent.
- Look for Nick Bracewell to get the first snaps for the second team offense. David Kooi and Colton Kane will also quarterback that side. Grant Flessner is not expected to play.
- There will be times when the offense has two running backs on the field at the same time, but don't look for FAU's traditional I Formation. Backs will often go in motion or will line-up wide as a receiver.
- Pelini didn't want to name a breakout player for today's game (he originally thought about running back Travis Jones, but reconsidered because Jones is a little banged up but will play) but he does think certain units will perform well. He's pleased with the development of the linebackers and defensive backs. He also thought the offensive line could have a good day.
We're on our way to the stadium. Look forward to seeing many Owl fans there and hearing what they think of FAU Football 2.0. For those of you tailgating, save me a hot dog and a beverage.